The Amalaki plant, as it is called in Sanskrit, is called Indian Gooseberry in English, Amla in Hindi and Emblica Officinalis Gaertn., Phyllanthus Emblica or Terminalia Emblica in Latin. The fruit of this plant — a small berry — is the only ingredient in the Premium Amla Berry tablets from Maharishi Ayurveda. Amalaki fruit is also a major ingredient in Amrit Nectar and Amrit Ambrosia.
Of all the Rasayanas — ayurvedic formulations revered for their positive influence on the physiology — Amalaki is considered one of the most potent and nourishing. The Charaka Samhita says, "Amalaki is the best among rejuvenative herbs."
The Amalaki is actually a moderate-size deciduous tree with gray bark and reddish wood that grows in the tropical subcontinent of India. All parts of the plant are used in various ayurvedic herbal preparations, including the fruit, seed, leaves, root, bark and flowers.
The fruit is very sour when you bite into it. But after a few minutes, after it mixes with saliva or if you take a sip of water, it becomes sweet. The forest variety has bigger seeds and smaller fruit than the hybrid variety, which means that you must collect many more fruits to make the Rasayana.
Wide Range of Benefits
There are many benefits that Amla Berry, found in MAPI's Premium Amla Berry tablets, imparts that are mentioned in ayurvedic texts and experienced by people in India for thousands of years and now by people in the West as well. Here is a list of some of them:
- Excellent source of Vitamin C. Amla Berry is rich in Vitamin C, containing about 720 to 921 mg of Vitamin C for every hundred grams of edible material. It is the most concentrated form of Vitamin C found in the plant kingdom, and because the whole fruit is used rather than an active ingredient, it is easily assimilated by the human body. The Vitamin C in the Amalaki fruit is bonded with tannins that protect it from being destroyed by heat or light.
- Enhances food absorption. The regular use of Maharishi Ayurveda Premium Amla Berry tablets can strengthen digestion, absorption and assimilation of food. People taking it notice that they enjoy the taste of food better. It enhances all thirteen digestive fires (agnis). But it works more slowly and gently than ginger or other digestion-enhancing herbs, so it can be taken by people with a lot of Pitta without fear of creating excess stomach acid. In addition, it improves assimilation of iron for healthy blood.
- Balances stomach acids. Because it improves digestion but does not heat the body, Premium Amla Berry is ideal for calming mild-to-moderate hyperacidity and other Pitta-related digestive problems. It should always be taken with food in this case.
- Fortifies the liver. Premium Amla Berry helps purify the Rasa Dhatu (nutrient fluid) and Rakta Dhatu (blood), supporting the functions of the liver. It also stimulates the liver, helping it in eliminating toxins from the body. Research shows that it helps lower cholesterol.
- Nourishes the brain and mental functioning. Amla Berry is good for the brain. It is medhya (nurturing and enhancing coordination among dhi (acquisition), dhriti (retention), and smriti (recall), sharpening the intellect and mental functioning. It supports the nervous system and strengthens the senses.
- Supports the heart. It is hridya, which means it nurtures the heart, blood and circulation. It supports the cardiovascular system. On the other hand, it sometimes acts as a cardiac stimulant. For this reason, if you have a heart condition, you should check with a medical doctor before using Amla tablets.
- Strengthens the lungs. The Amla Berry tablets help pacify Kapha dosha as well. Therefore, Amla Berry is a wonderful tonic for strengthening and nourishing the lungs (which are a major seat of Kapha dosha in the body), and the entire respiratory tract. It also pacifies Shleshaka Kapha, which among other things governs moisture balance in the lungs.
- Regulates elimination. Premium Amla Berry tablets also pacify Apana Vata, thus helping with the downward flow of energy in the body. They keep the function of elimination regular and ease constipation.
- Enhances fertility. By balancing Apana Vata and by nurturing all the dhatus (body tissues), Premium Amla Berry also helps keep menstruation regular and healthy. Amla Berry supports the reproductive systems of both men and women and can help overcome difficulty in conceiving. It is a Vrishya herb, which means that it enhances...