How can you improve eyesight? Is there anything to remove the development of cataracts?
Eyesight deteriorates due to overuse, strain, lack of rest and a lack of nutrition such as the beta carotene contained in many vegetables and fruits.
Vision is governed primarily by Alochaka Pitta. To balance Alochaka Pitta, you have to balance the liver (Ranjaka Pitta) and emotions or sense of contentment (Sadhaka Pitta).
Another important influence is often overlooked. That's the neuro humors (Tarpaka Kapha). They help maintain balance by cooling vision (Alochaka Pitta) and lubricating sensory perception (Prana Vata).
If Tarpaka Kapha is weak, it's due to a lack of lubrication. This disrupts the other two factors — Alochaka Pitta and Prana Vata. The Tarpaka Kapha acts like the water and oil in your car. They keep the engine from overheating and drying out.
Diet and lifestyle tips:
- Eat lots of well-cooked green veggies and carrots.
- Add more sweet juicy fruits to your diet.
- Cook with turmeric, cumin, coriander and fenugreek.
- Follow a regular routine, including early to bed and rise.
- Try these ayurvedic eye exercises from the Charaka Samhita text:
Ayurvedic eye exercises:
- Light touch: close your eyes and place your fingers over them. Now, gently caress the eyelids as you move the fingers across the lids in an outward direction. Do this for 1 to 2 minutes before getting out of bed in the morning.
- Eye rinse: with the eyes closed, gently rinse with water. The temperature of the water should be a bit lower than room temperature. At the same time you are rinsing your eyes, hold some of the water in your mouth. This helps maintain balance between the eyes (Alochaka Pitta) and the area surrounding the eyes (Tarpaka Kapha). The water in your mouth will quickly warm up. When it does, spit it out and take a fresh mouthful. The optimum is to continue rinsing the eyes until you've taken 10 mouthfuls of water. It takes less than 10 minutes. You can do it daily.
Ringing in the Ears
I have ringing in my ears, especially the left one. I can't associate it with anything I might be doing. For example, I'm not taking any medications that would cause this. What is this telling me?
Ringing in your ears is related to sensory perception (Prana Vata) and a blockage in the auditory channel. The ayurvedic texts include specific references to ringing in the ears. It's best to see a doctor about this type of disorder.
- Take the Worry Free tablets and the Worry Free Tea.
- Add poppy seed chutney to your diet — 80% poppy seeds and 20% shredded coconut. Heat the dry poppy seeds just until they begin to pop. Next, add water and blend the seeds thoroughly into a paste. Then, mix in the coconut. Heat a bit of cumin in the ghee (clarified butter), add salt to taste and mix it with the poppy-coconut paste.
I take Amrit Kalash and follow a good diet and routine, but I've had a chronic case of vertigo for several years. How would you treat it?
There are many possible causes of vertigo. It's really necessary to see a physician. In general, vertigo is due to an imbalance of Sadhaka Pitta, which regulates the emotions and their effect on heart functions.
The imbalance in Sadhaka aggravates Prana Vata, which regulates the brain, respiration and nervous system. That's what can cause symptoms such as dizziness.
- Add poppy seeds to your diet.
- Good rest is essential. Go to bed before 10:00 p.m.
- The Shirodhara treatment would be good. It's part of a rejuvenation therapy called Panchakarma.
The sole purpose of these articles is to provide information about the tradition of ayurveda. This information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have any serious acute or chronic health concern, please consult a trained health professional who can fully assess your needs and address them effectively. If you are seeking the medical advice of a trained ayurvedic expert, call or e-mail us for the number of a physician in your area. Check with your doctor before taking herbs or using essential oils when pregnant or nursing.
- Take a look at five Foods To Avoid With Acid Reflux