Remember that according to Ayurveda, our bodies are a mixture of Vata, Pitta and Kapha. However, you’ll find that you scored more highly on one of these doshas than the other two. It is this dosha that you should pay attention to.
1. If you scored highly on Vata:
The energy of your body resembles air/ether.
Physically, you most likely have:
- Dry or rough skin
- A slender build that doesn’t gain a lot of weight easily
- Thin or brittle hair
- Brown or black colored natural hair
- Cracking joints
- Irregular digestion
- Small/sunken eyes that are black or brown color
- Nails that break easily
- A tendency to suffer from headaches, fatigue and insomnia
- A tendency to prefer warm/humid climates
Personality-wise you are naturally creative and would make an excellent artist, writer, dancer or musician. You are also skilled at talking and would likely excel in human relations. You tend to worry a lot and are prone to anxiety.
Common ailments that you might suffer from include poor circulation, constipation, anxiety, palpitations, bloating and gas, varicose veins, inability to sleep, dry skin and asthma.
You should include in your diet:
- Tea (ginger, lemon, fennel)
- Mild spices (cloves, mustard, cinnamon, cumin, coriander)
- Ripe fruit
- Rice and wheat
- Boiled/steamed vegetables
- Soups, casseroles and dahls
2. If you scored highly on Pitta:
The energy of your body resembles fire and water.
- A medium/muscular build
- Smooth skin
- Acne and inflammatory skin conditions (like eczema)
- Excessive body heat
- A tendency to gain and lose weight quickly
- Combination skin (dry and oily)
- Straight hair that is oily and/or prone to hair loss
- Quick digestion
- Gray or green colored eyes
- Sharp, flexible nails
- Profuse sweating
- A tendency to prefer cold climates
Personality-wise you are intense, precise, ambitious and competitive. You are hard-working and like to be in positions of power, and would therefore suit self-employment, the position of CEO/boss, or a job in the sciences, medicine or engineering.
Common ailments that you might suffer from include heartburn, gastritis, skin conditions, nausea, irritability, fevers, headaches and ulcers.
- Mild, cool spices (mint, cloves, turmeric, coriander, cardamom, cumin)
- Rice, wheat, barley and oats
- Sweet fruits (banana, berries, citrus)
- Boiled, steamed and raw vegetables
- Tea (peppermint, spearmint, liquorice, chamomile)
Try to avoid excessive oily, salty, fried and hot foods, and reduce your alcohol intake.
3. If you scored highly on Kapha:
The energy of your body resembles earth and water.
- A large build
- Oily skin
- Thick, curly or wavy hair
- Dark natural hair
- Slow digestion
- A round face and big eyes
- Strong immune system
- A tendency to gain weight quickly and lose it with difficulty
- Blue eyes
- Thick nails
- A tendency to prefer warm and dry climates
Personality-wise you are easy-going, stable, methodical, nurturing and caring. You tend to be loving but also needy and sometimes possessive. As such, you’d make a great teacher, nurse, healer or caregiver.
Common ailments that you might suffer from include obesity, sinus problems, water retention, food allergies, poor digestion, colds, depression and congestion.
- Strong spices (pepper, ginger, garlic, paprika)
- Honey instead of sugar
- Tea (raspberry, peppermint, fenugreek)
- Corn, millet, rye, oats, wheatbran, barley
- Ripe fruit (not banana)